Quick Takes With: Kai Avent-deLeon

Kai Avent-deLeon is, as she says, “a mom and owner of Sincerely, Tommy and Che, a vegan eatery”, and we’ll add that she’s also a tastemaker, an entrepreneur, and a woman of all trades. We’ve been taken by Kai’s singular style since we first toured her Bed-Stuy apartment, then her next BK place (which features in The Low-Impact Home book), and her mobile home-turned-clean-lined sanctuary in upstate New York.


For our first-ever Quick Takes column, Kai shares the best flowers to bring to a party, the ultimate bed sheets, and her simple swap for better lounging.





You’re invited to dinner. What’s your go-to gift?




I love receiving wine or flowers, so I usually will bring either of those—specifically a natural wine, or tulips, because they’re timeless and complement any space.


What’s on your bedside table?




Water, my journal, photos of my favorite and most cherished loved ones, and a usually a book I am reading (currently The Power of Intention).


What are you listening to lately?




A lot of Sade and Fleetwood Mac.
Above: Tulips in Kai’s place. Photograph by Matthew Williams for Remodelista: The Low-Impact Home.


Which Instagram account do you look to for design inspiration?




@the.peanut.vendor, @simotto, @ejrbarnes, Carmen Amsterdam.


What’s your greatest recent house upgrade?




A floor mattress instead of lounge chairs. I love chairs and could probably say I am recovering from an obsession with collecting good lounge chairs. In my quest to be more minimalist, I found a floor mattress to be not only an aesthetically pleasing option but also extremely functional. When friends and family stay over, it serves as extra sleeping space.


Favorite sheets?




Magniberg.
Above: Magniberg’s stripey Wall Street bedding.


Go-to kitchen utensil?




A good spoon.


What’s a design trend that needs to go?




Boucle. Sorry!


What item from your closet do you have on repeat?




My reworked Levis from La RĂ©union Studio.


Favorite design shop to visit, online or in person?




Lichen, Chairish, and any furniture store on Warren Street in Hudson, NY.



Above: Kinto’s LT Cup with Strainer and a pair of patched Levi’s from La RĂ©union.


What’s the last thing you purchased for your house?




Tea cups and charcoal bars from Kinto.


Something you’re coveting?




I really love the brushed steel trend…


I don’t leave the house without…




My rosewater mist.



Thanks, Kai! For more, follow her @kaiaventdeleon or via Sincerely, Tommy. | BidBuddy.com


http://dlvr.it/T3Xnqh

Comments

Popular Posts